Tuesday, May 7, 2013

MTC Update

Thursday, May 2, 2013
Hey everyone,
     Just wanted to check in and let everyone know how I´m doing. The MTC is great, the spirit here is so infectious (though not always the most reverent). My district is the best and we are bonding so well. It almost feels like we are old friends instead of meeting just last week. My companion Elder Thornton is awesome and reminds me so much of Trevor Seegmiller that there was really no awkward ´´getting to know you´´ period. Out of the 5 other Elders and 4 Sisters, none of them are going to Ventura (the Elders are going to Tempe, AZ and the Sisters are going to Edmonton, Canada). I was getting really bummed out, thinking that I would be the only missionary going to Ventura, when I found a whole other district going. I WAS SO HAPPY!!!! I don´t feel so alone anymore.
     We caught BYU right as it was changing semesters; and since the majority of teachers are RM's going to the Y, we have had 4 different schedules and 5 of them were wrong. It was a mess. But I've been learning lots and have been strengthen so much in the gospel already. Especially when we gave our whole zone blessings because they were feeling a little homesick. The power and spirit that was present in the room was so strong, we felt ready to take on the world! The teachers have been awesome, especially when they do role playing to help us practice the principles that we learn to teach. One of them, Brother Yack, basically has schizophrenia.  Whenever the tie is off, he is Anthony, but when the tie is on, he´s Brother Yack. Even my mock investigator (played by Brother Makahilahila) was very different than the teacher. But it is a real learning experience to teach the gospel in a safe and controlled environment, to help build confidence, especially when extending the invitation to baptism in the first lesson (which really freaked us all out to try and do).
     Other than that the work has been going great. I love my zone/district and as district leader, it doesn't feel that weird helping them out with their issues. No homesickness (thank goodness) because there is plenty to go around with the younger missionaries without me adding to it. Somebody was telling us that although our schedules are messed up, we still caught it at the best time because come June/July, there are going to be so many young missionaries running around and missing home, the teachers and staff are going to have their hands full.
     That´s about it. Not counting down the day to come home, only the day til I´m in the field, but it is going to be amazing, just as the BoM says in Mosiah chapter 2, verses 20 thru 22:
20 I say unto you, my brethren, that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole soul has power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has granted that ye should live in peace one with another—
21 I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants. 
22 And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you.

Love you all.
Elder Cox
CA VEN

P.S. - My next email will be in the field 2 Mondays from now. I get to fly out at 8 in the morning of which I am very grateful for (my district is flying out at 3am on Tues.).

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful! And how wonderful for you, Erin, that he is a long letter writer. Not all young men are, you know! District leader already? Great things are on the horizon for him! Thanks for sharing! Susan Wheatley (aka Our Community Garden -- that is the account I use for our neighborhood's community garden blog -- sorry)

    ReplyDelete