Wednesday, August 14, 2013

It's a boy!

Monday, August 12, 2013

     Well, my first week of being a trainer and senior companion is over, and I'm exhausted. There is a different kind of stress associated with being senior companion. Then add the stress of training where you have to watch every word you say and every step you take to set a good example for your "boy" (when you train for the first time, they are considered your "son").
     Speaking of - when I got the call to be a trainer, I said I could handle anything except an 18 year old or a Utahan. Guess what! Elder Eisele is from Lindon, Utah and his 18th birthday was in July!!!!!! I should have kept my mouth shut.
     But it has been good. Elder Eisele is just what I needed for two reasons. The first is that I really didn't have a testimony of the age change. I do know that President Monson is the prophet leading the church and that he was inspired to lower the age change. But when I came out, I was seeing so many problems with having younger Elders come out that I was starting to question whether it was such a good idea or not. This week with Elder Eisele has changed that: he is more mature than I was expecting and more ready to share the gospel than I was at his age. Yes, he still has his little quirks; but the vision I had in my head of the 18 year old missionaries was that of "bubble boys" that were going to have a nervous breakdown when they realized that they couldn't go to their mom for help on every little thing. I admit it was a very cynical view of the younger elders, and I will be forever grateful to Elder Eisele for changing that view and giving me the opportunity to repent of my cynicism. The second reason that I am glad for my new companion is a renewed energy to the work. Elder Broby was just hitting his year mark, or "mid-life crisis," so there were days that were hard to go out and proselyte. There is so much more energy now, very infectious energy; and I've already seen the blessings from this refocusing of our purpose.
     That's not to say this week was all sunshine and roses. We had to drop an investigator that we have been working with for a long time. She was going to be baptized, then through some words from her fellowshipper, that was cancelled.  Now she has gotten her hands on false doctrine, believing the church is run by "male chauvinist pigs" who force women into subservient roles and that baptism is just a humiliating public display. It was really sad to see her change so much, but we had been losing her for a while and nothing we did was able to stop it. So we let her use her agency, and just like Lehi taught in the Book of Mormon: "Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil." It was just really painful for me to see that change; and for a few days after that incident, I kept thinking, "was there something more that I could have done?" And the answer I came up with was "yes".  However, my purpose is to invite not to force others to come unto Christ.  And as difficult as it was, I know that there are many other souls that are in need of my attention; and I cannot be distracted by this one rejection.      And the work goes on.  The weather is amazing; but I've been told that the next transfers, September 16th, are right around the hottest days of the year. So as that time draws closer, either pray for me to stay in the mountains, or that there will be an early frost.
 
I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week!

Elder Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment