Sunday, February 23, 2014

I've been delinquent in posting to Ethan's blog.  Sorry!!  Here's the 1st letter:

Fowl Play

Monday, January 20, 2014

Anyone and everyone!!! 

So I have received a complaint that my letters have been too short, so here is me trying to elongate my correspondence by using as ostentatious vocabulary as frequently as possible, because massive words take up a tremendous deal of space. Though I can't keep that up for too long because I don't have a thesaurus nearby, so hopefully I can think of something else to pass the time. 

Firstly, I'm staying in Rosamond and I am really glad for that. We have 3 people set with a baptismal date and they are super ready, though one might be getting cold feet so we'll be working with him to see what's up. But for 100% sure I am going to get my first convert baptism in my mission on February 8th. It is really happy to be fulfilling my purpose as a missionary to "invite people to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel" and making those saving covenants with God that will allow them to return to their Father in heaven and be with their families forever. Yeah, it make me really really really happy. We also got an investigator to church (well Stake Conference) and she enjoyed every minute of it. They talked a ton about missionary work and how the stake needs to step it up or they will get left in the dust when the rest of the Church starts gaining momentum and sharing the message of the Restoration with the whole world. They also talked about strengthening relationships with others. Well, they were really talking about marriages, but you'd be surprised how some of the same principles apply to both. 

So those were the spiritual highlights of the week, now for the not so spiritual.

Last Friday was our last district meeting of the transfer, so we all went to Jack n'the Box for lunch. While there, a "party bus" from USC stopped for gas and food next door and a large group of them came in. How could we tell that they were a party bus? Because many of them were wasted and others were quickly on their way. And they were all carrying red solo cups which is a dead give-away. But that wasn't really the best. The best was when we left, they left too and a few of them stopped to talk to us. And as we were parting ways, a drunk penguin came up and started talking to us. Well to be accurate, it was a very short man (probably 5' nothing) dressed in a penguin suit. And he was more loaded than a pair of dice! But he was funny, got a kick out of my name and said, "sorry, man I tried not to laugh. You should really change your name to Fox." made my day to have a short, drunk penguin say that my name should be Elder Fox. 

Okay I wasn't entirely truthful, here is another spiritual thought, this is part of what is known as Nephi's psalm found in 2 Nephi 4:
     "My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep. He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh. He hath confounded mine enemies, unto the causing of them to quake before me. Behold, he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge by visions in the night-time. 
     And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me. And upon the wings of his Spirit hath my body been carried away upon exceedingly high mountains. And mine eyes have beheld great things, yea, even too great for man; therefore I was bidden that I should not write them.
     O then, if I have seen so great things, if the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men hath visited men in so much mercy, why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow, and my flesh waste away, and my strength slacken, because of mine afflictions?"
 
Well that's all the time I have, hope you have a good week and enjoy the longer letter :) and watch out for penguins!

Elder Cox 

No comments:

Post a Comment