Monday, June 10, 2013

2 Baptisms, A Wedding, and A Funeral
 
Monday, June 10, 2013
 
     This week was really hard. My companion got "DearJohn'd" on Tuesday, so the rest of the week was shot because Elder Broby was in mourning. We also had to travel from Tehachapi to Bakersfield every day but one this past week, which destroyed our miles (we're at 700 of 1850 already). We did the best we could, but still by the end of the week we were completely exhausted - physically, emotionally and spiritually.
     The greatest learning experience that I gained this week is that the Lord will provide uplifting experiences in our lives to help us through all the other trials that we have to face. We saw that in two convert baptisms, a wedding, and a trip to the temple - all of which helped me to keep my perspective on life and the work that needs doing. One of the baptisms was Elizabeth, who was also the bride at the wedding. That was a really cool experience to attend that baptism (at 10pm!!!) and the wedding. The downside to the wedding was that we were behind the bride's maids during the ceremony and couldn't see anything, and we couldn't dance with any of the pretty girls. Oh well, good thing I like being a missionary!

     With this next week being the last of this transfer, I definitely feel a sense of urgency to make sure that the area book is up-to-date and that every thing is ready for the formation of a new mission. However, I also learned that we need to keep things in an eternal perspective. While the personal things that happened were devastating, in 20 years it won't matter, and even in 40 years we won't remember them. But the baptisms, the temple, and even the wedding (eventually) are going to remain for eternity, and they are more important than temporal matters.

     Sorry that this is so short, but like I said, this week was rough. Love you all and when I "talk" to you next, I'll know if I'm in the Ventura or Bakersfield mission.


Elder Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment