Monday, November 11, 2013

One does not simply pick up investigators without faith...

Monday, November 11, 2013
 
All,

Whew!  Okay I have a little more time to type to everyone this week so hopefully I can fill in a couple more gaps in my last email. When I said I was a minority, I wasn't really exaggerating at all. On the East side of my area are a ton of Latinos and I really wished that I knew more than high school Spanish now. And then as you go more west, the blacker it gets, until you hit (whether it's ironic or intentional I don't know) Martin Luther King Jr. Park, which is 100% black and they don't really care for white boys over there, so we kinda stay with the Latinos and nicer black people in the SW corner of our area. But the people are great, when they realize that you aren't with the cops or FBI they are really nice and open up. And I could listen to them talk all day! They sound so different than I'm used to hearing people talk. Like this one old black lady we stopped and asked if she needed help sweeping she said, "Oh no, but thankee child. It's just one-a doughs things that hasta be did." I love it!!!!

The ward is also awesome, they are really good about feeding us and doing work. But like I said last week, there aren't a whole lot of them on our side of the tracks, so that's a little rough to have to keep traveling up and down the ward to dinner and back, but thankfully we have a car and don't have to do it on bikes. Me and Elder Taylor are getting along...well...I guess you could say. There are some things we don't see eye to eye on but we're working on that and just always making sure that the spirit is present when we are teaching and studying. We still don't have any investigators, which actually leads to the spiritual part of my letter.

When Alma went to the city of Ammonihah, the people rejected him and cast him out from their midst. And as he was walking to another city, pondering their wickedness and saddened by it, an angel appeared unto him and commanded him to go back to Ammonihah and cry repentance to them. So what did Alma do? We read, "Now it came to pass that after Alma had received his message from the angel of the Lord he returned speedily to the land of Ammonihah. And he entered the city by another way, yea, by the way which is on the south of the city of Ammonihah." So when we couldn't find anyone to teach just like Alma, instead of giving up and going home, we have decided to come at the problem from a different way and trust in the Lord completely to give someone to us who is ready for the gospel.

That's about all I have time for. I love you all and hope that you have a successful week in whatever you do...well...so long as you aren't doing anything illegal or nefarious, then I hope you fail! Otherwise, be strong and sing hymns (that's what we did for sacrament meeting on Sunday was to have many congregational hymns and it was so inspiring).


Elder Cox
 

No comments:

Post a Comment