Sunday, November 24, 2013

Roadside blessing

Monday, November 18, 2013
 
All,

Let me begin with a story from this last week:

We were on exchanges with the Zone Leaders (meaning we swapped companions for the day) and it was kinda dark and we were walking around. All of a sudden a car pulls up to us and this slurred woman's voice comes out of it and says, "Elders wait, I need your help." We stepped closer to find a woman driving and she is obviously in distress. We ask her what's wrong and she proceeds to tell us that she has just run out on her husband, who has been using their money for...bad habits and that he was beating her earlier that the night and ripped out some of her hair. So she took the keys and ran. She said that she was member and that her bishop was going to go see her in the morning at the motel she was going to; but if we could give her a blessing, she really needed it. Elder Flake and I kinda looked at each other and weren't entirely sure what to do.  She made the decision for us and opened her passenger door and said to just do it right there on the side of the road. So with Elder Flake watching on, I slid into the seat and proceeded to give her a blessing of comfort. Now in my short experience as a missionary, I have been very fortunate to be the mouth piece of our Father in Heaven in many situations, but none as unique as this. And how amazing it was to act as the hymn says:

"Perhaps today there are loving words
Which Jesus would have me speak;
There may be now in the paths of sin
Some wand'rer whom I should seek.
O Savior, if thou wilt be my guide,
Tho dark and rugged the way,
My voice shall echo the message sweet:
I'll say what you want me to say."

It just goes to show that we need to be where the Lord wants us to be to bless the lives of his sons and daughters.

We also taught a lesson on the other side of the ward which was about as golden as it could have gone. He was an honest seeker of truth and as the Doctrine of Covenants says, "For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men...and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it."

That's really all that happened of significance that I feel like telling ya'll, so love you and hope you have a productive week.

Elder Cox

P.S. Schnitzel is amazing!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment